We don’t always have the time or money to go to a gym to train. And for that reason, we should not neglect our body. If you are one of those people who cannot go to a gym and want to gain muscle strength, in this article we will tell you how to gain muscle without weights or any type of special equipment. We will indicate some good exercises so that you can tone your body and, thus, eliminate the excess fat that you have accumulated, losing those extra kilos and showing off a flat and strong torso. Keep reading!
Steps to follow:
1. First of all, you must be very aware that gaining muscle mass without weights is possible but it requires a lot of perseverance, strength and dedication. There are many exercises in which the body’s own weight is used as resistance, without the need to resort to huge weight machines such as those found in gyms. In this article we teach you how to gain muscle without weights through a series of specific exercises that will help you increase the muscle mass of the entire body.
2. One of the best-known exercises to develop muscle strength without the need for weights is the so-called push-up or plank exercise, which consists of raising your own weight by leaning on the tips of the feet and the palms of the hands, always keeping the back straight and aligned, so that the shoulders or buttocks do not protrude above the rest of the body.
In this position, several muscle groups of the body are worked, among others, the upper part of the body (shoulders and arms), the chest muscles and also the abdominal area, so it is a very complete exercise, since through you lift all the weight of your body without the need for devices.
Also, if, for example, you prefer to locate the training in the pectoral muscles, you only have to separate the position of the hands a little more to focus the effort on the chest. Start by trying to do two or three sets a day of between 8 or 10 repetitions and as you gain muscle strength, increase the frequency and number of repetitions.
3. For the following exercise, known as bottoms (or dips) it is only necessary to have one chair per house. We stand in front of the chair, as if we were going to sit down, but instead of doing so, we hold onto the seat with both hands and, with our legs fully stretched and our heels resting on the floor, we flex all the muscles of the upper part of the body (biceps and triceps, mainly) until the seat of the chair is at the height of the middle of the back and then, we get back up on our arms.
The buttocks should never touch the ground and the back should be as straight as possible. Like the previous exercise, start with three sets of 8 or 10 repetitions and increase as you gain strength, because if you exert too much effort at the beginning, there is a greater chance that you will be injured and leave the training soon.
4. To work and tone the buttocks and the muscles of the hip area, the ideal are the well-known squats (or squats), with which we also train all the muscles of the legs and back, so it is one of the best exercises to gain muscle without weights, using only your own body weight.
How are squats done? Well then, stand up and place your arms at a right angle facing forward, parallel to the ground. The back should be straight and not arched, the shoulders firm but not stiff. Once you achieve this position, the exercise consists of lowering the hips and buttocks as if you were going to sit in an ‘invisible’ chair, bending the knees, so that the weight is distributed on the legs and trunk.
Hold this position for at least 15 seconds the first time, and gradually increase until you reach 2 minutes. Repeat 10 to 15 times daily and you will see how you notice that your muscles increase while toning.
5. Among the most popular exercises to gain muscle without weights are the abdominals, not only aesthetically but also at the level of physical health, since these muscles are in the center of the human body and when they are worked, all the central muscles are trained and from the back.
Lie on your back, bend your legs and knees, keeping them up. Put your hands on the back of your head, just above the nape and in this position, against the abdomen and raise the upper part of it. Be very careful because the force must come from the upper body, never from the neck because serious injury can occur.
Start the workout with 2 sets of 10 repetitions each and increase the number of sets as you progress towards your goal. In this other article we will tell you how to have strong abs.
6. In addition to physical exercise, diet plays a fundamental role in gaining muscle without weights. Eating a healthy and balanced diet helps you in your goal of increasing muscle mass. In your daily diet you cannot miss proteins, which are undoubtedly the ideal food when you want to increase the muscle mass of the body.
The main proteins can be found in lean meats, fish, milk, eggs or nuts (nuts, mainly). We encourage you to add these foods to your daily diet and you will see how you will gain both health and muscle mass.