Pastry is one of the areas of the kitchen most appreciated for its sweet flavors. Many people love desserts and look forward to tasting all kinds of preparations, such as cakes, pastries or biscuits, for example. One of the fundamental elements of pastry is pastry cream. This preparation is suitable for many uses, as it has great versatility and blends perfectly with different ingredients. There are many types, although chocolate is one of the most used.
If you want to discover how to make chocolate pastry cream and its uses in sweet recipes, here we recommend that you continue reading. However, before detailing the recipe for homemade chocolate pastry cream in steps, it is good to know that the healthiest ingredient is cocoa, since it provides us with a large number of antioxidants and favors the production of endorphins. In addition, the purer the cocoa, it contains a higher dose of tryptophan, thus increasing the production of serotonin, popularly known as the hormone of happiness. Despite all the benefits of its ingredients, the high caloric content of the preparation is undeniable, as it is rich in sugars, so it should be consumed with caution.
Steps to follow:
1. The first step of the recipe for a pure chocolate pastry cream, or with the highest percentage of cocoa possible, is to crack the eggs separately. In this way, you will avoid that any error or defect found in one can harm the others. After breaking each egg, you have to separate the whites and yolks to reserve the latter in a different container. Here you can see a very simple trick on How to separate the white and the yolk of an egg easily.
2. After separating the yolks from the whites, put the yolks in a large bowl and add the sugar to mix. With the help of a mixer, you must beat until forming a kind of foamy cream. Do not stop until you get the yolks and the sugar to be homogeneously integrated.
3. Add a splash of cold milk to the homogeneous mixture and beat everything again to make the sugar dissolve completely. Reserve the rest of the milk, since you will need it at a later point in the preparation.
4. To continue making the chocolate filling cream, include all the cornstarch and mix all the ingredients again. It is important that you make constant movements, as this will avoid the formation of unpleasant lumps.
When you have everything well mixed after incorporating the cornstarch, add the rest of the milk that you had left before and mix again.
5. To add butter to the chocolate cream filling, first put the mixture in a saucepan and then add the butter. The fire should be at medium-high intensity. Try to move everything constantly: this will prevent the preparation from burning at the bottom of the casserole or pot.
When it comes to a boil, let it cook for 1 minute. Immediately after, remove the casserole from the heat and turn it off.
6. When you have removed the casserole from the heat, add the chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa to the preparation. Mix everything again and let it rest for 1 minute so that the ingredients are integrated. Respect the rest time and do not accelerate it, since otherwise the final result may be defective.
7. To finish this easy and inexpensive chocolate cream, pour the contents of the casserole into another container, such as a bowl, a lunch box and cover it with plastic wrap. This plastic paper must be in contact with the preparation to avoid the generation of crust when the pastry cream is cooled.
8. Before putting the pastry cream in the fridge, wait for it to cool down for a few minutes at room temperature. After leaving it stored in the refrigerator for several hours, you will have finished this recipe that will always help you remember how to make chocolate pastry cream easily.
If you don’t know how to use chocolate pastry cream with cocoa in different desserts, here we give you the following ideas:
- Use it to fill a sponge cake or a strawberry or other fruit tart.
- Cover cakes and biscuits.
- Use as a filling in the preparation of homemade cupcakes, muffins and cupcakes.
- Use small portions as decoration and to accompany desserts.
- Fill or bathe donuts and profiteroles.
In addition, here we leave you the Recipe for normal pastry cream, that is, without chocolate, in case you want to try some recipes that use it in fillings, toppings or accompaniments.