Before the arrival of the cold, it is necessary to carry out certain maintenance and equipment tasks of our vehicle to avoid unforeseen events during the winter. The development of the car is something important throughout the year, but with low temperatures and adverse weather conditions is essential. To avoid the most common problems this time of year, don’t miss this article on how to prepare your car for winter.
Steps to follow:
1. Whenever possible, when winter arrives it is recommended to store the car in a garage or under cover to avoid that low temperatures can affect the exterior elements of the vehicle, or the engine fluids.
2. This is especially the case with car windshields and glass, which, after frosty nights, appear covered in ice. This is why if you live in an area with frequent frosts, you should get an ice scraper that will help you remove the frost from the glass. You can see here more about how to remove ice from the windshield.
3. In the same way, you must make sure that the antifreeze levels are correct, because otherwise the water in the radiator may freeze and will prevent us from starting the car. It is important that you know how to start the car when it is cold, to avoid damaging the engine.
4. When doing car maintenance in winter, you should also check that the oil is at its proper level, as well as its viscosity, since the cold tends to make it thicker.
5. Also make sure that the battery charge is correct, especially after its third year of life, since in the cold it is more likely to discharge and is responsible for starting the car engine.
6. The tires are other elements that we pay more attention in winter, especially if you reside in an area prone to rain, snow or ice.
7. Have the tire chains ready if the weather forecast warns of a risk of snow, as well as make sure you know how to position them correctly in case it is necessary to do so.
8. On the other hand, the maintenance of the vehicle in winter also means carefully checking that all the lights are working correctly, and that we have spare bulbs in case one burns out.
9. It is also recommended to keep the fuel tank as full as possible, in case the vehicle breaks down and we get stranded, since this is the only way to have heating.
10. And, above all, be careful when driving!