Have you recently had signs of a whitish tone on your skin? It is totally normal that during the summer days the moles, freckles or other types of spots that we have on the body due to tanning are much more noticeable. But what are the white spots? What is the cause for which they appear? Like other types of marks on the skin, white spots do not appear for a specific cause but can occur on your body due to different factors.
To distinguish the reason why these types of signs are manifested and thus be able to start using a certain treatment or another, it is important to observe both the size, in which area of the body it has appeared and if you also have other symptoms such as peeling, itching or dry skin. In this article we want to help you with this skin condition and therefore, in the following article we explain how to remove white spots on the skin according to the disease or the problem that is causing them. Keep reading!
Causes of white spots on the skin
As we have announced, white spots on the skin can appear on our body for different reasons. Therefore, to know what treatments we have to use to remove them, it is very important that we first know what is the cause that is causing it.
Although the most advisable thing would be to go to a dermatologist for much more precise analysis, below we explain some of the causes of white spots on the skin:
- Pityriasis versicolor: it is a skin condition that is caused by fungi, which appear on our skin in times of heat since there is usually an increase in sweating and humidity. Due to these factors, fungi multiply and appear in areas such as the chest, back, arms and legs. It is generally distinguished from other causes by causing itchy skin.
- Vitiligo: is a skin disorder that occurs due to the abnormal loss of melanin, that is, the cells responsible for pigmenting our skin. This is produced by a failure in the immune system, which detects melanocytes as a kind of attack against our body and destroys them.
- White sun spots: when a person with very fair skin tans and as the days go by, the skin in the areas where they have tanned the most end up peeling off, producing these spots from the sun.
- Nutritional deficit: a diet poor in healthy nutrients, especially calcium, vitamin D and vitamin E, can cause a decrease in melanin in the skin and therefore, these types of spots appear.
How to remove white spots caused by pityriasis versicolor
The tinea versicolor is caused, as we have said, by the appearance of skin fungus, so that treatments to combat it should contain antifungal and antiseptic properties. To remove the white spots on the skin caused by these fungi, we recommend that you use some of the following treatments:
- Garlic ointment: crush a few garlic cloves and put them in a glass jar. Fill the container with olive oil and let it marinate for a week so that the garlic soaks through the liquid. Once you have it ready, apply the ointment on the areas where the spots are with a gentle massage until the skin absorbs it. Use this remedy every day for a week.
- Aloe vera gel: you can make aloe vera gel for the skin at home if you have a plant, or you can buy it directly at an herbalist or pharmacy. Moisten your hands with a little gel and apply it to the skin, massaging it for a couple of minutes. Let it work for a few hours and then take a shower. Use this remedy every day for 1-2 weeks.
- Shampoo enriched with selenium sulfide: it is usually an ingredient widely used in anti-dandruff products for its antifungal properties. Apply a little shampoo to the areas where the white spots are and leave it to work overnight. The next morning take a bath to remove the remains of the product.
How to remove white spots on skin caused by vitiligo
If your white spots are caused by vitiligo, we must tell you that there is currently no treatment that is effective against this skin problem. However, there are some natural treatments that can help you both to reduce and improve the appearance of the affected areas. Among the best remedies to improve vitiligo and thus reduce white spots on the skin we find:
- Papaya cream: this food is rich in vitamin E, which can help our body to produce more melanin. Grind a piece of the pulp of a papaya and apply the paste obtained on the affected areas until it dries. Repeat this remedy 2 times a day.
- Red clay mask: it has pigmenting properties due to its richness in copper. Mix 2 tablespoons of powdered clay with 1 tablespoon of ginger root infusion. Apply the paste to the stained areas and let it work for 15 minutes. Then remove it with warm water.
- Turmeric remedy: this spice has a high content of different antioxidant substances, which gives it excellent pigmenting properties that improve the color of our skin in a natural way. Add half a kilo of raw turmeric, a quarter of a ginger root and the juice of 5 lemons to a jar. Put the jar in the fridge and once cold, take two tablespoons of this remedy before each main meal.
Natural remedies for white spots caused by the sun
If the cause of your spots has been an excess of sun, it is important to look for remedies that help both to rehydrate and to regenerate the areas affected by the sun’s rays. Among the best home remedies for white spots on the skin caused by the sun we find:
- Milk: Its richness in lactic acid helps both to eliminate dead cells and regenerate sun-damaged skin, as well as to hydrate and relieve burns that may have occurred. Dip a cotton pad in milk and apply it to the areas where the stains are. Leave it to work overnight and then rinse your skin the next morning. Here you can learn more about How to lighten the skin with milk.
- Cucumber mask: Its richness in vitamin E and other antioxidant substances give it powerful regenerating and moisturizing properties. Process a peeled and chopped cucumber into a kind of paste and then apply it on the areas with white spots. Let it act for 20 minutes and then remove the remains with cold water