Cats are said to be very independent animals, however this does not mean that they do not need an education to guarantee a good relationship with their master. Remember that cats see you as an equal, so to get their attention you must give them a striking incentive for which they must obey, this will help them to relate to their new environment. If you have a puppy at home and you don’t know how to train it, here we show you how to train a puppy cat.
Steps to follow:
1. Teach him to use the litter box, this will be the first point on how to train a puppy cat. Within their independence, cats also need privacy and especially when relieving themselves, so you should place the litter box in a secluded place with easy access.
Use a litter that is comfortable, they generally prefer unscented litter, but this depends on the cat’s taste. Place the cat in the litter box after each meal and try to use one without a lid until it gets used to it, in this way it will associate that this is where it should go every time it needs to relieve itself. Do not forget to reward him when he has learned to use it and avoid scolding him if he does not succeed, otherwise you will create the opposite effect.
Lastly, keep the litter box clean and carry out deep cleaning, at least once a week. In case your cat cannot use the box, you will use as a last resort to put him away in a room until he gets used to it, if he goes back to relieve himself on the floor, place them in the litter box so that he can associate him with the place where he should go.
2. Cats learn by playing. It is in this way that they learn that some acts can have consequences, for example, in the case of biting, cats learn that there is a limit to biting while they are with their pack, if this has not been possible with your puppy cat, perhaps It has a tendency to bite you, so you should mark a limit, but without hitting it, just give it a small pinch until it squeaks, in this way it will understand that it has caused pain.
Cats tire quickly so their attention to play will not be too long, so you should spend at least 15 minutes twice a day playing with your puppy. For this, use a flashy colored ribbon or a laser pointer so that the cat will also chase it, in specialized stores you will find a toy that attracts it.
3. Always have the same reaction. If you sold your cat in different ways, what you will do is create confusion, so you should always use the same word or phrase. On the other hand, if you are going to discipline him, do it immediately after the event occurred, in this way the cat will associate what he just did with the punishment. If you let a lot of time pass between the action and the scolding, you will not be able to punish him, because he will not associate him with what he did an hour ago, but with what he is doing at that moment.
4. Provide him with a scraper. Cats scratch things to file their nails and to mark their territory, to prevent it from damaging your furniture you must give it a scratcher and spray it with catnip, an herb that will make your cat excited for a few minutes, it is also known as catnip. If you discover your cat scratching something, take it immediately to the scratching post, so that it makes the association.
Of course, you should not forget to cut its nails, especially if it is a cat that does not go outdoors, since they tend to grow faster. Additionally, give it a place to climb in this way it will have fun and you will prevent it from climbing on the countertops.
5. Respect their space. If a cat needs affection, he will let you know, so you should not force him, this will cause him to have a bad reaction and to adopt a defensive posture. Likewise, if your cat bites or scratches, the ideal is to leave it in a room with the door closed for 5 minutes, within the next 20 minutes you should not feed it or pet it. Another technique is to put water in a spray bottle and spray it with this when it does something that is not suitable, however try to do it without being seen and thus it will not associate you with the bad time.
6. The award is very important. As we established at the beginning, cats need something to encourage them, since they do not do things simply to be generous or to please you, so you must ensure that your cat is interested in having good behavior. Additionally, you must accustom the cat to eat only its food, so you will prevent it from climbing on the table every time you are eating or starting to meow if you do not give it your food. So, you should ensure that the treats you use to reward it are especially for cats.
Other tips that you can follow to train a puppy cat are:
- Establish rules, if you have already decided that your cat should not get on the beds, tell him that he should not do it without exceptions, since if you allow him once, he will not take you seriously.
- Never hit it, this will not benefit the trust between the cat and its owner.
- Restrict treats, as this can affect your cat’s weight considerably. Also, they will no longer be an incentive for him.